Monday, January 25, 2010

Just fine, please.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~Thomas Paine

Another blogger posted this quote recently. How true it holds for me today.

I would be a fool to think my kids would have no lasting reactions to the year they have had. Well, a year and a half, really. Kids are resilient, kids adapt. You hear that all the time. But that doesn't mean they forget, it doesn't mean they bounce back 100% the way they were.

My daughter is feeling her pain. Several nights ago she began having tremors. She was watching tv upstairs with her dad, he came down and asked me to look at her. She was sitting, legs outstretched, and both feet were moving. She held out her arms and her hands were trembling. I can't quite describe the feeling I had at that moment. I'm not sure I have ever felt anything like it. I told her to get her shoes on and we headed out to the ER. As we were leaving, she said her legs were trembling, too. By the time we got to the ER, her arms were trembling, and she said she felt a tremor in her jaw. This was not shaking like she was cold, or nervous. This was a small, rapid tremor.

My mind was going to the deepest, darkest places. If you follow Kate McRae, you know that what started as a tremor in her finger ended up being brain cancer, and she is in the fight of her life at this moment. Parkison's. Multiple sclerosis. I had vomit sitting in the bottom of my throat for what felt like forever. I drove us to the hospital in a blur of fear and dread. Never, NEVER have I been scared like that.

We signed in and waited for an agonizing ten minutes. The nurse called us, and to my surprise we walked straight back, bypassing triage. When we got to our room, I saw it on the electronic greaseboard- a bright red flashing box by her name. High Risk. Emergent. I remained calm. I prayed, prayed for calm. Prayed for peace.

She was given a neuro exam by the doctor, as well as labwork. Thank you God! Her neuro exam was unremarkable. As were her labs. I was actually surprised by the labs. After passing her neuro exam, I expected her electrolytes to be out of whack or something, something that would explain her tremors. By this time, we were fairly relaxed, watching Everybody Hates Chris. She had asked for food, and inhaled it. I took this as another great sign, but my mind traveled to another dark place. When I worked in the ER years ago, there was a thirteen year old girl who was brought in afer collapsing at her soccer game. She was awake and alert, and asked for food. She died later that night after suffering a stroke. I remember thinking to myself, "but she asked for food two hours ago". I couldn't understand that. I thought of that when Katie asked for food. Weird. Scary.

I expected a CT scan next. And dreaded it. The doctor said "nope, let's let her go home and give it a day".

Um, what?

He said he sees no clinical indication for a head CT. He said tremors are common in children, have many causes and very few of them are serious.

I do not like having to trust strangers.

He said to eliminate caffeine (Katie often has an afternoon cup of coffee to boost her ADHD meds as they wear off). Ah yes, the medicine. That could be a cause of the tremors as well. Even though she has been taking them for several years with no increase, it is possible she could be having one of the many possible side effects.

I reached her doctor Friday afternoon. He was just who I needed! However, by the time he and I talked I had decided for myself what was probably going on. (After a few hours with Dr. Google, of course.) The tremors had all but disappeared, but earlier in the day Katie had a visible palpitation. She is thin, and it is not unusual to be able to see her heart beat, but this was a palpitation. I know them well. I checked her pulse and blood pressure- normal. And that palpitation was somewhat of a Godsend, for it was then that I was almost sure what was going on. Her doctor agrees with me as well.

My baby is stressed out.

After burying four people she loves last year, and dealing with the demands of sixth grade Advanced Academic Placement (the new name for Gifted Talented), she is reaching her breaking point. How sad is that? The stress of her family's losses and the aftermath has distracted her to the point of falling behind in her school work, which has caused her grades to fall, which adds to the stress, and around and around we go. Building that snowball.

My daughter will be twelve next month. She begins junior high this fall. This is the absolute worst time for her to be emotionally fragile, stressed beyond her capacity and doubting herself. Junior high is the most impressionable time for kids. At least it was for me. All the things I did much too young, the reckless behaviors I exhibited, the bad choices I made, began in junior high. My girl needs to enter this phase in her life strong and confident, or she will fall prey to the pressures of adolescence and her peers that will not lift her up. I am sure of it.

I am not sure where we go from here. I will start with getting in touch with her teacher, the school psychologist, counselors and nurse. I am encouraging her to mainstream next year instead of continuing on with AAP. She can still take honors courses if she chooses or needs more challenge.

That will be just fine.

If you know me well, you know how I bristle when I hear that- "just fine". "My kids got X and they turned out just fine." "My mom did X and I turned out just fine". I have always said, rather loftily, that I want better than just fine for my kids. I want the best. I want excellent. I want perfect. Not from them, but for them. Just fine is not has not been good enough for my kids. Until now.

I just want her to be just fine. That would be the best. That would be excellent. That would be perfect.

19 comments:

  1. Thank goodness it was "just stress", right? I am sorry your daughter is going through a hard time. I think you are handling it very well though! I also hate the saying just fine. I am a perfectionist, and I struggle with wanting my baby to be ahead of the curb in every aspect. Good for you for looking out for your daughter's best interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, poor baby!..I have a 10YO and I can't imagine her, or I, or any of us, having to go through what you guys have been through. I am too a perfectionist is SOME areas (definitely not in respects to keeping laundry folded)...but I also understand you just have to let some things happen and go with it. Hugs to you both! I certainly hope the next year and a half is easier for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest just turned 12....I cannot imagine handling all that your daughter has handled and him remaining stress free.

    I will pray for your daughter as she processes this, all of it, and as she prepares to enter Jr. High, that she might yet enter that period with strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very hard to watch your child suffer, whether it be something "more" or "just stress."
    Hope mama and child both feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with your decision to back off of everything! I was in a similar situation my first semester of college. I was at a challenging private college, trying to play varsity basketball, all while being completely away from anybody I knew. After a few months I decided I needed to do what was best for me and transferred to a state college, where some good friends were, and changed my major to something I love. Easing up on life was the best decision of my life. I graduated a semester early and had multiple job offers to choose from.

    You don't always have to push so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not had the chance to go back and read all of your posts, but I will be doing it soon. I want you to know that as a parent to pre-schoolers I already worry about stresses on the kids. Doctors, friends, etc tell me all the time that "kids are resilient" and that they can manage with change and heartache better than most adults.

    It does not comfort me much though. I know that when my husband's work schedule changes I notice a little change in the kids or when we take a (rare) vacation how differently they act. Being out of their element stresses them!

    I cannot even imagine if we had to deal with the loss of one loved one at this point, let alone 4. The kids are very relaxed and peaceful in our routine and with the people they know they will see every day. I love that my kids are close to my parents and brothers and that we see them several times a week. If something about that were to change, I can envision a lot of emotional turmoil!

    Good luck to you in your quest for relief for your daughter. It may be as simple as changing what is expected of her at school or he chores. A break from one element might ease her mind just enough to allow it to decompress. Keep us informed as it all plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for peace for your daughter. Amy from Blog Frog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! How scary! Praying for you and your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your scary incident and pray that she will find peace in her soul before too long. As a middle school gifted teacher, I often felt like the kiddos had way more pressure on them than I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. I am so glad that your baby is fine (well, nothing life-threatening- "fine" is relative.) I worry so much about this kind of thing with my children- my oldest, mostly. The youngest two don't seem to notice that anything ever happened, but my oldest witnessed my parents and my brother and sister being carried out of their house in comas from carbon monoxide poisoning, and she witnessed a television smash into her younger sister's face, and paramedics swarm in. She's a very serious, intelligent child with very grown up worries. And i worry for her.

    Hang in there. You will know how best to help her cope.

    Following from BF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like your sweet girl has had a stressful year, indeed. Praying that things can calm down for her and she can have a relaxing summer before heading into junior high.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor thing! Being a teenage girl is so tough; there are just so many obstacles to overcome... I'm sorry she's so stressed out though, it shouldn't start so young!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor baby!! SO sorry to hear about the scare you faced and now the road you currently face! Will be praying for your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry that your daughter is going through so much! I know how it feels to watch your children struggle. I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so sad to hear about anyone, especially a little girl! Poor thing :( Hope things start looking up for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it wonderful that she has such an amazing mom to worry, care about, love her and stress for her!

    I truly believe that children are resilient, especially when the support system around them is as caring as your daughter's seems to be.

    I hope your entire home can be filled with peace very soon.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bless her heart! This is my first visit to your blog, and so I don't know (except what you've alluded to) what's gone on the past year. I am so sorry your daughter is feeling such stress. I will pray for her peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! Everyone! Thank you so very much for this support, it warms my heart. Katie is doing better, she has had no more tremors, and I think simply identifying the issue has helped her so much.

    Thank you, everyone!

    Shawnee

    ReplyDelete