Ok, maybe we don't all feel the same way. I don't think Pat Robertson feels the way I do. I don't think he has met the same God I have. Oh sure, his God is in the Bible, you can look and find something to back up what he says. If you choose to. I don't. I know many take the Bible literally. I don't see how that is possible, not the entire Bible. The Bible says many different things. In many different ways. But I don't read what he is reading, I don't believe what he believes.
I am trying to figure out the best way to help with limited resources. (That is polite talk for "we are flat freaking broke!) I will find a way, I believe that. No matter how small our contribution is as a family, I know it will be given in love and will benefit some or many. But the helpless feeling many of us have is hard to reconcile. I want to do much. I want to go there and dig with my hands and breathe life into someone and wrap a blanket around someone and feed people and pray with people and look for lost loved ones and dry tears and apply bandages. Since I am not a member of the Red Cross, or the National Guard, or the many, many brave and selfless Urban Search and Rescue Teams, and can not just pick up and drop everything and leave my family, did I mention selflessly?, to go there and help, I will have to be comforted by offering what I can. And to pray. Which is, of course, the greatest and most valuable gift any of us can give. God, be near the people of Haiti and the people who are offering to help them, in any capacity.
Rambling? Yeah I have the time to ramble. I am not supposed to do anything strenuous. A couple of weeks ago I discovered a lump in my tummy. I instantly thought it was an inflammatory mass, due to Crohn's disease. Except it was perfectly vertical and dead center in my abdomen. So I saw the doc, who said I have a hernia. A hernia?? But it doesn't hurt. I (naturally) learned from Dr. Google that a hernia is not always a fall on the floor, emergent sort of thing. He sent me for a CT scan, which I waited over a week to get because I was not in pain. I had the CT last Thursday. By Saturday, I was feeling things. Pressure, pulling, and pain in certain positions. Dr. Google told me this was my hernia telling me that it should not be ignored. Then I found out my CT results. Normal. Wait, what? Normal?! But I don't feel 'normal'. Ok, so if no hernia, then what? I went to the the ER, which I have been known to do when I want answers NOW, not in a few weeks after I have gotten back in to the doctor or been to another test. Peace of mind is priceless, so I didn't mind shaving off a semester of the kids' college education to go to the ER. (Ok, I exaggerate. I really spent about a night's worth of college drinking, so win-win!) The awesome doctor there did a pretty thorough exam (I am still sore from the feeling up I got!) (Get your mind out of the gutter, my husband was right there.) (Oh good grief, don't go there!) Yes, I have a hernia. I was not symptomatic, and furthermore was laying flat when I had the CT scan so it didn't show up. I see a surgeon Monday to determine the next step, which is surgery or no surgery. Until then, no strenuous activity. Time to sit and ramble online.
Seriously, pray for Haiti. And for that poor Pat Robertson.
I read your comments at MckMama's Blog Frog and found my way here. I couldn't agree more about not believing what Pat Robertson believes.
ReplyDeleteGood luck at your appt. on Monday.
here's a blog that has really touched me about haiti. and a list of items that could be used by this particular organization. a lot of items we may have already and could spare, just footing the shipping bill (the addy is in the US). with parcel post, it might not be too expensive. check out the blog and the list...maybe a way to help.
ReplyDeletehttp://haitirescuecenter.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/donation-of-goods-to-haiti/
as for pat robertson, i didn't give him much thought til this recent controversy. i didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt. but i did and started to research him to learn more. sad to say, this isn't his first time to really stir the pot, in fact he's done it over and over again. i can't imagine our Lord is really inspiring him at this point. =(