Sunday, March 16, 2008

Danny Boy

I am not Irish. I married a man named Ryan, whose distant family comes from Ireland, but that is the extent of it for me. IBM, Irish By Marriage. I have been in this family for 14 years, and of course, St. Paddy's day is huge here. I have even become the official Irish soda bread maker.

So imagine my surprise, no make that shock, when my father-in-law decided he wants to cancel St. Paddy's in this house because some bartender in New York has decided that Danny Boy is banned in his pub for the month! He has some good points, the song is depressing as hell. But whatever. It is his pub, and it is just ONE pub in all of New York. What does that have to do with the long standing traditions of this family? What is it with the Irish, or old guys?

I am having my Guinness though. St. Patrick himself could not stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment