Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why blog?

I have heard that question recently. Not directed at me personally, but directed at a group of bloggers. "Why do you blog?"

I a asking myself that very question. I go through periods of blogging a lot, to not making entries for weeks. I find myself feeling uninspired lately. So I am asking myself that question- Why do I blog?

I am certain that once I answer that question, I will either blog regularly, or shut it down. I will be sure to let you know what I decide.

I do know of one hindrance, though it is self-imposed. Family. Naturally, I want to talk family. The good, the bad and the ugly. And in doing so, I violate their privacy. Or do I? I can use nicknames, initials, etc. That is simple enough. But...they read it. I want to always be careful to avoid saying something I do not truly mean, so I try to never "blog angry". I also try to avoid saying something I cannot take back later, when the dynamics of familial relationships change. And they are ever changing. Yet I do want to be real, to be honest. It is "my blog", and I should have the freedom to say "so-and-so pissed me off today" without facing the hurt indignation of a loved one who feels they have been flogged in public regarding a private family matter. I have a large family, some of them are very private. Some may not want it known to "the world" that they have a special needs child, or they went on vacation. That they had a recent birthday, or a baby. Some may not want to be talked about at all. It should be clarified, there are many, many 'good' things to share, many positive things and loads of love I have for my family. But I don't think those details would be complained about.

So I need to ask myself, as I ask myself "Why do I blog", to what point can I share my life. And if that affects the point of sharing it at all.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blog I am sure that if we were to meet in real life we would become fast friends because we have so many things in common (as best I can tell from your writing). I too am going through a dry spell in blogging. I no longer have "little" children who do cute things I can blog about. I have teenagers and none of them want me to share the turbulent things that sometimes go on in our family.

    I don't know whether this will help you to decided about blogging, but I wanted you to know that often what you write has touched me in some way. So maybe that might be one reason you write - to relate to others. You have to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, thank you so much for that beautiful message! It warms my heart to know I reach anyone at all, thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete