So we have this guy, a singer. Huge star on American Idol, which I do not watch. Sings pop music, which I do not listen to. He's popular, not my cup of tea, the end.
I saw his performance on the AMAs. Actually, I saw it on You Tube the next day after I saw all the "Oh my God, did you see that?" comments. What I saw was tacky, to say the least. Vulgar. Surprising. And at the risk of offending his fans, I found him to be lacking of any real talent whatsoever. Sorry. But was I surprised to see something like this on an awards show? No. Not even a little bit. Which is, of course, why I do not watch them. Actually I do watch them, if they are country music or the Dove awards. Things do get crazy on those shows too (not really), but I have yet to see any sex on stage.
Here is what surprises me. The all out assault on Adam and on his performance. Really people? Come on now. We have Miley Cyrus doing pole dances on the Nick Kids'Choice Awards. Christina Aguilera has been vulgar since she was a child. And um, hello? Madonna and Britney. So I just don't get it. Did he suck? Yes. Did he kiss someone of the same sex? Yes. Did he grope a crotch? Yes. Was there explicit sexual portrayal? Yes. And was it unusual, different or in any other way more sucky, vulgar or offensive than anything else we might see on these garbage shows? No. Not at all. Ok, I admit the meeting of his crotch to another man's face was something I had not yet seen on an awards show. Sex is sex, and does not belong on a stage. But shocking? No. So what IS the big deal here? Dropping his performances and appearances. Chastising him. Why, exactly? Are gay males more offensive than gay (or implied lesbianism) females?
My advice, since you asked....what? Oh sorry. Ok, if you were to ask what I think (better?) I would say: don't watch this crap. Unless you are prepared for and enjoy the spectacle of Adam Lambert and others like him, don't watch then get crazy about it later. (The subliminal message in there was don't watch.)And to the networks who are dropping Lambert? No one really cares what you think anyway.
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you!! I was disgusted by his performance. It's like he was trying to make his mark by being so contraversial. It was gross.
ReplyDelete