Thursday, June 18, 2009

A day like no other.

Today I turned forty.

My husband kissed me on the cheek as he left for work at 4:00am, and told me happy birthday and that he loved me.

I got up at 6:30, made coffee, and got Kate up for school.

My sister-in-law Rachel came to pick up Tommy and take him to lunch so I could get some time alone to get our house ready for our party this weekend.

I did a lot of work around the house.

I talked to my dad on the phone, who is in the hospital.

I talked to my cousin Tom, who I haven't talked to on the phone since 1987. He called to wish me a happy birthday.

I received many sweet birthday wishes from friends and loved ones.

We had celebratory pizza after school let out for the last time this year.

I got a call from my uncle Steve, telling me that the fears we have had in recent days are realized. My father has cancer. Terminal cancer.

The world stopped.

The world started spinning again because I have a family, and they need me.

We went out to dinner at Five Guys. Dr. Atkins was not invited to my birthday.

I told my mom the news about my dad. My first husband died, long after we divorced. The pain was very real and deep, and it was no different for my mom.

I came home and had several cocktails.

We enjoyed the new fire pit we built in the back yard yesterday. The kids and I stayed out there for a while. Sean is camping in the yard with his friend.

I will sleep tonight, beside the man who is my rock, my best friend. I will wake tomorrow very much the same as I woke this morning, but changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment