Saturday, April 5, 2008

Well, I finally had to call 911.

I can not tell you how many times I have been looking for one of my kids, finger on the "9". They are always in the neighbors house, or in some hidden yet close little nook on our wooded lot. Out of sight, but never out of earshot. Well with Pat's voice, you would have to be pretty far away to not hear that bellow. Last year for Christmas, we got the kids cell phones. The starter kind, I can call them, and they can only call who I programmed into the phone.

So today when Sean and our neighbor Parum did not respond to Pat's booming voice, and Sean did not answer his cell phone, I called the police. Of course, they were here very quickly. After searching all the usual spots, I was ready to let Katie go with one of them to direct them to newer spots I was not yet aware of. Apparently there are a few, good to know. Naturally, I had to excuse myself, Crohn's disease and stress are none too fond of one another. As soon as I sat down, the phone rang, it was Sean. Very brief conversation there, where are you?! (in the woods) Where were you?! (at the creek) Why didn't you answer your phone?! (it was off and he didn't realize it) Get home now!!! So Pat is outside talking to the officer and I am stuck in the bathroom with this golden tidbit of information- our son is alive, well and heading home. So I did what I could, I called Pat. "I am calling from the bathroom," I said, "Sean is on his way home." I am sure I will look back on that moment and laugh. Eventually.

So Sean got some 'good information' from the officers who were here. Including how close they were to calling out the helicopter. In the back of my head I am thinking how great that is, and it gives me peace of mind for next time. Next time? Oh there better never be a next time. Anyway, Sean is well aware of the gravity of what has happened here today. He is feeling pretty low right now. I hope it sticks in his brain.

We have these boys, who just want to be boys. And this beautiful wooded lot in this quiet, almost event free neighborhood. This is a kid's paradise. Man how I wish it could just be simple.

1 comment:

  1. That is scary, but sorry I had to laugh at you being on the toilet, because that would so be me. Glad everyone is okay. Little stinkers.

    ReplyDelete