Friday, June 3, 2011

Music Is Not His Special Thing

That's what I realized today when I went to see Tommy's "Kindergarten Revue". As the entire class was singing and animating some adorable songs, my sweet Aspie just stood there, nodding his head side to side as he has done since he was six months old. I was heartbroken! I couldn't quite place why, but I was hurting. Was it because he is different, or because everyone could see he is different? He wasn't unhappy. He wasn't distressed. In fact, he giggled at the funny parts. But I was sad, feeling like he, I, we stood out like I always felt growing up. He sings and dances all the time at home. In fact, he is quite hilarious! I was expecting my little showoff to steal the show today, so perhaps I was simply feeling let down. 

Then we sat down to read from his book basket. He read me several books about animals, with big words and excited expression. (In fact, he was reading a book about how some animals look very much alike yet are not the same. Coincidence?) He read the higher level books as his classmates all around us sometimes struggled with basic words and read in bored monotones. It was then that I started to remember all the ways my son IS different. He is smarter than his peers. Reads at a higher level. Understands more advanced math. Retains an astounding amount of fact. And is unique in all the world.

Music is not his special thing, and that's ok. No version of Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes could ever change the love I have for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment