That's one of the questions my new psychologist asked me today. I had no idea where to start. What am I dealing with or feeling, or what caused it all? What, exactly, do you want to know?
We started with my health, finances, cancer, my job, my husband's job, my kids, my oldest child and the fact that I did not raise him, the marriage and divorce that led to that decision, the relationship before that marriage, how my mother dragged me to Arizona, her two marriages after my father, how my father rejected me when I was 13, the deaths of my former husband, mother-in-law, grandmother, sister-in-law, father-in-law, father and friends. We touched on A.D.D., liver disease, Crohn's disease and food issues.
She ended with "Wow.". And we're just getting started!
On that note, more than one person has suggested I write a book of my memoirs. Well, this blog is pretty much covering that but I often wonder what it would be like to write it all down, in order. Would I learn new things about myself or those I have known if I sequence everything and read it all as it happened, versus remembering how it made me feel or impacted my life? Would anyone want to read it? And let's be real here. Would I actually have the attention span to get past age 6? Maybe I will just start and see where it leads.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gah! I just lost my entire response when my router cut out for the umpteenth time today. Short version goes like this:
ReplyDeleteIt seems like a promising start and I hope you find the experience helpful. At the very least, it sounds like you made quite the introduction for yourself today. Personally, I'm reluctant to meet with a therapist in large part because I'm certain he or she will simply tell me I need to quit whining and go be a man. For that, I could save a lot of money and just go be around my dad.
As for the idea of writing one's memoirs, I view my blog as sort of a working draft of that very project. In fact, I've even got a label, "My Memoirs" for posts about my personal anecdotes and life experiences. I couldn't imagine sitting down and writing out a chronological autobiography, though. I think thematically, not chronologically, so when different topics are on my mind, I recall and think about different stories I want to record. Maybe one day I'll see about compiling them and organizing them chronologically.