You may have figured it out by now, but basically there are two kinds of drunks. Good ones, and bad ones. Good covers just about anyone who can overindulge and manage to not piss anyone off. Bad can include all sorts of offenses. Offenses like the one uttered tonight.
Just as we were leaving, my daughter was questioned about her Fedora hat, one just like Michael Jackson's. My girl is an MJ fanatic! She loves his music and can mimic many of his dance moves. Which she was doing for our family members. She showed off a few moves, then someone (a drunk someone) said "Now show me how you have sex with little babies!".
I. was. floored.
Not only was my 13 year old daughter the one he was speaking to, there were other children in the room, including his own. Of course, we were all shocked and disgusted with such a vile comment, a comment made to a child.
But what was so insulting was that my daughter was showing off her moves, something she adores and makes her happy. My daughter was not here when all of that nasty business was happening, at least not old enough to know anything about it. She found Michael Jackson's music all on her own and became a huge fan long before she even know there was any controversy, and upon learning of the allegations against Michael Jackson and the subsequent trial, she quickly decided it does not matter. She is a fan of his music, he is gone. What's to judge? She felt slapped in the face. So did I.
Offended, disgusted, very angry and slapped in the face. We made a hasty departure before my husband heard what was said, and before I could react. It may be fortunate or unfortunate, depending on the situation, but I tend to react about 10 minutes behind when I should. In this case, I was driving home when I resisted the urge to turn back and go "start some shit".
But no, I will sit and stew about it tonight. She will forgive him, because that is who she is. A sweet, loving heart who would no sooner judge or hate her own loved one than she would Jackson. I sometimes wish I was half the woman my girl is! A mother will not soon forgive such a nasty offense.
I could have accepted a more subtle jab, like, "Well, I guess it's okay if you have a thing for 13 year old boys." That might have gone over the heads of the ones in the room who shouldn't have heard what he did have to say. This, though, isn't even a drunk thing. This is a People-Who-Think-They're-Funny-Because-No-One-Has-Ever-Set-Them-Straight thing.
ReplyDeleteI cannot stand such people, and I know quite a few. Generally, they're tolerated and they content themselves that every wince they evoke is some kind of affirmation that they were "edgy."
I blame Comedy Central. They peddle way too many comics whose material is often imitated by viewers who don't really understand the material or how and why it works in a specific context. Jeff Dunham may have been witty once upon a time, but by the time he came to my attention I merely despised him for being the originator of catchphrases quoted ad infinitum by every redneck in the world who thinks he's the funniest guy of all time.
Comedy isn't saying something vulgar in a room full of children. That's just a small person who has been indulged way too many times by those around him and now thinks himself clever.