Sunday, November 7, 2010

Epiphany

I am still fat. Despite two illnesses that cause weight loss and loss of appetite. Despite eating healthier. Despite worry and stress. No, I don't exercise. And I haven't truly cut back many calories. But none of that matters, because I realized something very important today. I realized that because loss of appetite is a symptom of both Crohn's disease and Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, I equate not being hungry with being sick. To have no appetite would be as scary to me as having jaundice or itching or high liver enzymes. All would mean I am sicker than I have been. So I believe that I have subconsciously told myself that hunger is good, it means I am doing ok. A robust appetite means robust health.

This is not THE answer. I still eat when stressed. I often put more on my plate than I should. I am known to snack on less than healthy foods. I still don't exercise. These things have to be changed as well. But my realization was an important one. I wonder if there are more like me out there.

1 comment:

  1. I've spent more time on steroids than off in the last five years, so I've got absolutely no idea what my appetite "should" be. I know I need to lose a few pounds, but I also remember how much weight I lost being in the hospital. I figure I'm better off holding onto the padding so that the next time (isn't it delightful to think in such terms?) my weight loss won't be so dramatic. At least, that's how I rationalize things.

    As for exercise, I meant to go for a walk just about every day this summer, but it was either WAY too hot (even in the morning and early evening), or I felt too bad to risk being more than 100 feet from the bathroom. Consequently, I'm really far behind on the podcasts I follow.

    ReplyDelete