Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What should I wear?

I am apparently not in a good mood. I feel fine. But I see I am coming off as a grouchy, cynical "ray of sunshine", as one friend put it. I had a few things to say this morning. None of them too popular.

Wearing purple. Let me say right up front that I get the solidarity thing. I really do. I have lit candles and tied ribbons to my car and to my trees and worn this or that t-shirt and have had a bumper sticker or two and changed my Facebook and Twitter avatars to reflect the issue of the day many times. I have my causes I am passionate about, and I show it when I can.

But I realized recently, probably right about the time I was ranting on pink ribbons, that beyond the wearing and the displaying and the shouting from rooftops, I wasn't doing as much as I should. (James 2:14-17) There is a lot to be said for promoting awareness! There are many things people are not aware of, or don't pay enough attention to. Foster care youth who are aging out. Primary sclerosing cholangitis. These are two issues I am feeling called to promote, and fit the category of "needing awareness".

There are many other causes near and dear to my heart as well. Ones that, in my opinion, don't need much awareness at all right now. They need action. Who hasn't heard of breast cancer? In fact, who hasn't heard of prostate, lung, pancreatic, liver, brain, bone, skin, uterine or ovarian cancer? We know them all too well. But the world is pink. Pink = money. And I don't mean money for a cure.

So when I see a "wear purple" campaign to end bullying, more specifically bullying of gays, yeah I suppose I am a bit cynical. Have we had such campaigns against bullying of fat, skinny, black, white, Hispanic, poor, rich, intellectual, athletic, shy, tall, short or otherwise different kids? No. But that is not really my point. My point is that wearing a purple shirt for one day will not change very much, if anything at all.

It will make us feel better. It will solidify us to a degree, and yes it will send a message. To some. Probably not as many as we think. Of course, we can say that if it makes a difference in one life, it's all worth it. If wearing a pink ribbon leads one woman to do a self breast exam and saves her life, then it is worth it.

My concern is the bandwagon. Ok, maybe concern is not the word. My irk. Yeah, that's it. Irk. The bandwagon that so many are jumping on because the rest of the world is doing it. Because their friends are doing it. Because the office is doing it. Because the team is doing it. Because Facebook said to. Because it is a big issue today.

Bullying is not a new issue. Gays are not new either. Bullying gays has been a pastime for millions of asshats for decades. Centuries! People have been unkind to each other since the dawn of time. Whether you believe that was Cain and Abel or apes or cavemen, it's a fact.

If I were to wear purple today, it would be to say be kind. "Love is never a sin. Only the lack of it." ~Mary MacGregor, Rob Roy. Do not condemn someone because of who they are and who they love. These are not new concepts. And they should not be relegated to one Wednesday in October.

We either "wear purple" everyday, or we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment