I am not gay. I am not close to anyone who is. That may or may not be beside the point, but I thought I would throw it out there. But honestly, I just don't get it. Well, to a certain extent I do get it. I get it in a PC world where every group that labels itself as different demands that they be treated no differently than the rest of the world. I mean, we do have the word nigger. I am truly loathe to type that word. I never use that word. It is among the ugliest of words, right up there with the "C" word, which I will not type or utter. But I typed out the "N" word to illustrate how ugly it is. You got a bad feeling just reading it, didn't you? A certain group of people use this word like punctuation. We are not "allowed" to use it. Why? Because it's theirs. I have come to this on that word- whatever. Since I do not use that word or like that word and would never tolerate (hee hee, I said tolerate) that word, fine by me. I don't want any part of it.
Stop right there. I am not comparing apples to oranges. Bear with me.
Now I will compare apples to oranges.
I can come up with a list of other names we all use every day that could be, and probably are, offensive to others. I fear that I will name a few here and then think of more later. If you are reading this, check back later for updates and edits! (el oh el)
Dumb. Who doesn't use that? In fact, Antoine Dodson is making himself a quasi D list career out of his rant wherein he calls a would be rapist dumb. "Really dumb". I wonder how many stop to think about the meaning of the word dumb.
*Stopping to consider whether or not to include definitions*
*Nah*
*Look it up.*
Lame. I can think of no worse thing than to be lame. Except maybe retarded. No, it's ok! I am allowed to say retarded, as long as the 'ed' is on the end. And it has to be used only to describe someone who is now called an individual with intellectual disabilities. And in fact, in some states it can't be legally used at all. But back to lame. Is it lame that we use this word to describe something that is not up to par, or lame that it may matter to someone who is truly lame? Which is worse?
I said I would talk briefly. So I will remain brief. If I say something is gay, it doesn't make me a homophobe. If I say something is lame, I am not intending to be insensitive to those who....oh you are tricky! It told you to look it up. I may or not choose to use any or all of these words, except for the ones I said would never use, of course. And retard, I don't much care for that one, either. But my point is, the world needs to relax. People are people. If you change the use of the word gay, people who used the word gay in a negative way will find some other way to be the assholes they are and continue to disparage gays. (Fag, lesbo, shall I go on?) And kids who don't know any better will continue to be kids who don't know any better. Until we teach them better. I am teaching my kids to be God and Shawnee and Pat correct, not politically correct. And I am also teaching them that sometimes people get far too worked up over things.
Oh, and I am fat. I may be curvy, I may be heavy set, I may be overweight. But it's all the same. Being fat does not take away from who I am, what I believe or how I impact the world around me. Nether would being gay. Do I flip out when I see the word "fat" used? No, I don't. That would be lame.
Language has always fascinated me, and these kinds of co-opted labels especially so. I remember as a kid thinking about the use of the term, "gay" outside the context of sexuality. It's rather circuitous, but here's what I reached:
ReplyDeleteThere is a school of thought that the purpose of mating is to reproduce. If that objective is not achieved, then the effort is wasteful (perhaps even sinful). Since two like-gendered people cannot physically reproduced, their engagements would, by design, fall short of achieving the supposed goal. Ergo, "gay" = futile.
In any event, this particularly amused me because my wife was unaware until just a couple days ago that the term, "gypped" comes from the belief that gypsies would sell you inferior merchandise and by the time you realized you'd been had, they'd have left town. Most people have never actually met a gypsy, much less had a bad business deal with one, and yet the term is alive and well in 2010.
You didn't address crazy. ;-)
ReplyDelete