Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hold the mushrooms.

A couple of days ago, a mere two days after our emergency room visit with Kate, she came in from the back yard to tell me that Tommy had eaten a mushroom.

First, I had to wrap my head around that statement. My Tommy, ate a mushroom? No, that can't be. Tommy will not touch mushrooms.

I asked him to show me which mushroom he ate, as we have many varieties growing on our wooded lot. I also know many of them are toxic, so I called Poison Control.

*Side note- If you ever have any money to give to a good organization that relies on our donations, this is a good one! Peace of mind is priceless.

Her response- take him to the ER. 'Of course' I thought, dryly. But I knew she was right. There was no time to analyze and research what variety of mushroom he ate, when the possible toxin was already making its way into his system. We did snap a photo of the mushroom to show the doctor, but he was of the same mind as Poison Control; there is no need to be certain, we need to treat Tommy "as if". We did look up the mushroom later, it was toxic. In some cases it causes severe vomiting and diarrhea, so while not a deadly toxin, still one best avoided. In the meantime, Tommy was treated to a half cup of thick, sludgy delicious charcoal. I am proud to say he drank it like a champ! Grudgingly, but drank it nonetheless.

He continues to be as right as rain. Because I had my camera with me to show the doctor the mushroom photos, we snapped a few of him "enjoying" his beverage. He took great delight in having his entire mouth turn a ghastly black, which kept him laughing, and therefore distracted and drinking.

Speaking of drinking....

No comments:

Post a Comment