Thursday, September 10, 2009

I do believe fall has arrived.

It's unseasonably cool these days here in Northern Virginia. Our air conditioner has been off for over a week. Of course, it is humid as well, but the cooler temperatures certainly make it bearable.

Time to start cooking! Something about this weather drives me right into the kitchen. Oh, I love the bounty spring and summer have to offer. I love going to the Farmer's Market and the way my kitchen smells when I bring all those fresh summer veggies and fruits home. Fall just makes me want to fill the house with the smell of fresh bread, sweet baked goods and soup. I can't wait get some fall apples and make apple cake, which my family always devours. I am already craving the aroma and flavor of apple cider. It's time to stock up on nuts and flour, chocolate and butter, and lots of ingredients for those crock pot meals.

Sweaters are coming out of the closet to be washed. Socks. I haven't worn a pair of socks in months. Slippers in the morning. Jackets. Fall mums in the yard. Bulbs being planted. The leaves are just barely starting to turn.

Yes, it looks like an early fall. It's hard to believe that just a couple of weeks ago I was writing about oppressive heat. I love fall!

1 comment:

  1. We live in northern VA, too, and our ac has been off all week. I love opening up the windows and enjoying the fresh air. The only problem is that there must be something triggering my allergies. Yesterday when I got up, I barely had a voice and today it was completely gone. Thankfully, it comes back once I've been up for a while.

    ReplyDelete