Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fashion? Style? I don't got it.

We are working on some home improvement projects. First up is the bathroom, which is a project we I started two years ago, and since then it has looked...well, like a work in progress. That should finally be finished this weekend. Then we I will be painting the living room, dining room and hallway.

The problem here is paint. Or rather color. I don't know what to do when it comes to color. For example, someone told me to pick a color element from the couch and find a complementary shade for the walls. I never would have thought of that! So I did, and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Green. Yes green. What shade of green? Ok, here we go again. I don't know what to do. So I carted a couch pillow off to Home Depot and held color samples up against my pillow until I saw some I liked. Now my wall is a horrid shade of blue, with three distinctive and very different splotches of "green" sample paint for me to stare at for days and try to decide which one I like best.

I cook. I can grab random ingredients and make a fantastic meal without much thought. Someone will usually ask "What's in this?", and I will usually respond "I have no idea!". That's how I roll, that's what I'm good at. It amazes me , however, how some people can pretty much do the same thing with style and fashion. Or how someone can look at a small section of paint on the wall and visualize what it will look like when the entire room is that color. All I see is a spot. Or rather three spots. One of which I hope will look good as a bigger spot.

If "jeans and t-shirts" was a decorating style, I would be a fashionista!

Photobucket
As if I wasn't confused enough, the colors in this photo look very little like the actual colors. The couch is lousy with the darker green, but you can't see a bit of it here. I need to hire someone to make my decisions for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment