Tonight, Katie, Sean and I are heading to Dulles airport to pick up the newest addition to our family, Camille. Camille is a stray from Costa Rica, where the stray dogs roam like rats. A friend was there on vacation, and Camille stood out among the many others. He knew he could not leave there without her and put out a call to adoption. We have been waiting for the perfect dog to get for Sean, and she is the one. We are so very excited to meet her and bring her home. And Sean may even get a day off tomorrow to bond with her.
Is it totally sad that I am thrilled and relieved that fall tv has begun? That I have new shows to add to my old ones to keep me sedentary on the couch in the evening? Yes, I have chronic illness, some days are rough and I probably should be sitting down with my feet up in the evenings. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be planting my posterior each evening at 8:00 if none of that were true. It's a taboo thing to admit we are boob-tube-oholics, but I freely admit it. Last night I watched Dancing With The Stars, because quite frankly, the train wreck possibilities this season are plentiful. I watched The Event, because Lost and Flash Forward are not on anymore so they have conveniently combined the two into one show. And I watched Hawaii 5-0, just to hear the theme song. I wonder if Daniel Dae Kim is feeling blessed for grabbing roles on two consecutive Hawaii based shows?
Getting back to health scares, I actually have several friends and loved ones who are at this time fighting to be well. It seems to be an exceptionally scary time to have Crohn's disease or PSC. I recently read a few articles wherein actress Amy Brenneman discusses her recent surgery for Ulcerative Colitis. The article, quoted verbatim on several sites, states that Amy was "cured" of UC with this surgery. To her credit, these were not her words, but those of the author. In any case, I took great exception to the choice of the word "cure". There is no cure for Crohn's or Colitis. I am proof that surgery can greatly improve the quality of life and even eliminate symptoms for a number of years, but these diseases can, and often do, recur. I am also living proof of that, unfortunately. Even with the removal of organs from one's body, extra-intestinal symptoms will often remain. I pray that each one of us will someday receive a true cure, and more importantly a concrete method of prevention. To all my "Chronies" and PSCers out there who are laid up, in pain and otherwise not living their lives as they wish, I am thinking of you!
And you too, Tex(as) Avery.
You're definitely right about this seeming to be a rough patch for Crohnies; we each follow several on Twitter that have had a bad time of things lately, and I know of a few others, as well. In fact, last night my guts really started to pitch a fit; I clearly need a lot of steroids, quickly. I try not talk about it too much for fear of complaining too often, but I also think it's important to put an accurate face on the disease.
ReplyDeleteAs for TV, I readily admit I *used to be* a junkie. Then I got so bogged down working and going to college that I just kind of lost my interest in sitting still and watching TV or movies. It didn't help that my favorite shows seemed to all end, and I wasn't drawn to any of their replacements. To be honest, if it weren't for watching Reds games (one of the few things in life that still bring me pleasure) and some fresh shows on USA ("Burn Notice," "Psych") I don't think I'd even turn on the TV.
Enjoy your new family member, though. Our (insane) kitty cats have become quite significant to us; critters introduce a special dynamic to a family.