Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Waterfront Coffee Company

We have a new coffee at work. I tried it a week or so ago and have been eagerly awaiting its release so I can drink it all day long at home. It has great flavor, but the aroma is what I am in love with.

*For those of you who think 'coffee is coffee', you can stop right here. Buy it, it's good.

When I was twelve and lived with my father in Oregon, my uncle and his then wife had a coffee shop in the coastal town of Florence, Oregon. It was a tiny little hippie shop with coffee, teas and the usual coffee shop fare. Lots of woodwork and Bohemian kitsch. And the smell was Heavenly! I was "allowed" to work there, which meant washing dishes. All I wanted in return were these little cordial candies they had. They were chocolate covered candies with raspberry syrup inside, the coating around the liquid was this pleasing sort of gritty sugar candy that just plain made me happy. I have not found those anywhere else since then. They also sold Amaretti Italian cookies, which are another little slice of Nirvana even though they don't come gluten free and I can no longer enjoy them.

To be honest, I may only have visited that town a few times and worked in that coffee shop once or twice, but it is with me still. The aroma. The ambiance. And yes, the candy. It's all brought back to me by the aroma of our new coffee.

The fitting translation of its name- Almost Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment