Monday, December 6, 2010

Learning curves

*I had formatting issues when posting this, it may look wonky. Yes, wonky.*

Hello world! How ya been?

I have been working! Starbucks is fun, for the most part. So far, I have mastered warming sandwiches and paninis and setting up a beautiful pastry display case. I am writing on cups, too. If that sounds a little like pre-school, I assure you, it isn't! If I get it wrong, I'm gonna hear it. The schedule I have is great for the family, though it does require a sacrifice on my part in getting up at 3:55am. It's worth it. We will have insurance in February, and pretty good insurance at that from what I hear. Did I mention the free coffee?

We have our tree up. In fact, we had it up the weekend after Thanksgiving. (More on Thanksgiving in a moment.) And it sat, naked, for a week. I am going through the motions at this point, the Christmas spirit has not really hit me yet. I have boxes of decorations I usually love to put out still sitting in the basement.It will come, just not yet...

So, Thanksgiving! It was good! I was challenged with making some gluten free items this year. I chose to adapt the recipes we already love, pairing them with their glutenous originals. We ate at my brother-in-law and sister-in-law's place this year. All but one of Pat's six brothers were there with their respective wives and kids, we had a house full! I am finding a renewed kinship with my sisters-in-law these days! I don't know if that means we are simply growing closer or if it means there is just no crisis to pick each other apart over, but I am liking it. My brothers-in-law, however...well I will just say I always feel like I have just said something stupid when I am around them. It could be that I just said something stupid. I have one brother-in law who has had the same thing said about him by several of us who have married into the family, which is "I don't think ____ has ever liked me.". It may or may not be true, and it probably isn't true, but it's interesting how many of us have said it at one time or another. Anyway, as long as I stick to Pat I am comfortable. Have I ever mentioned that I have the best husband?

I am feeling pretty good, too! I am secretly trying to lose some weight. I say secretly with a fair amount of confidence that only a few read here and won't consider it newsworthy. I also say secretly because I am not broadcasting to the world that I am again trying to lose weight, so they can in turn think "Again? Hmm, I wonder how long she'll last this time." In doing the clandestine version of Weight Watchers, I have discovered that there is a sort of weight loss underworld, wherein people are losing on the sly for the same reasons. They have been down this road, no one is impressed because they have seen them post their "I lost 5 pounds" brags and their new pant sizes, and then get really quiet. So, shhhhh, so far I have lost 4 pounds.

Speaking of pounds! I took the kids shopping for jeans yesterday. My daughter. My daughter! My God! She is so beautiful, of course. But she has gone up two sizes since school started. And she is not overweight, if you know what I mean. You don't? Ok, I will spell it out. C-U-R-V-E-S. And TALL. She is just over one inch shorter than I am. And still growing? And there is a boy. Oy.

And speaking of Oy.......Happy Hanukkah.



No comments:

Post a Comment