I have online friends that are virtual strangers, yet I have known for years. I love Facebook! I type in a name, a name I have never forgotten, a name I thought I had forgotten, a name I barely remember and most often they are there. Sometimes it is enough just to know they are "there", and sometimes I go ahead and contact them. I never have an agenda really, it's all in fun. Now I'm not talking about friending a friend's third cousin that I met at a party once, I look for people I know and who will know me. Some of them I have decided I am better off forgetting, and some of them have slipped right back into my life like they never left.
There are roommates, boyfriends, friends that are boys, family friends, and even long lost family. I found a friend I had when I was twelve! Do we talk? No, but the memories it sparked have made my puzzle a little more intact.
One memory I have is of a boy, a very cute boy in fact. He let me wear his class ring. Then we moved abruptly. I don't remember if I ever got to say goodbye to him. Not long after we left our home, that ring was taken from me and I was never able to return it. I have felt guilt over that for quite a lot of years! I have said "someday" I will find him and replace that ring. So I did, I found him. Easy peasy. As soon as I did, memories came flooding back out of nowhere. Ok, out of somewhere, the "nowhere" of my memory. This afternoon I cruised through the neighborhood where we met. What a trip! It's so funny how places you remember from childhood are always so much smaller than you remember them! It's also odd that that neighborhood is less than two miles from me, and I have not been through it in over 25 years.
I don't even know why any of this is important, or if it is at all. But I feel compelled to put pieces together, I feel the pull and who am I to ignore that?
Maybe I was never really as unhappy as I remembered being growing up. Maybe things were never really as bad as I remember them being. Maybe I was more loved than I remember. Or less. All I know is remembering is, so far, better than not.
"Remembering is better than knowing and not remembering". I think that is some self-help
Piece by piece.
You have totally been on my mind. I wanted to stop by and say hello.
ReplyDeleteTerri (the jelly lady)
I can remember when I was young (my mom said I was probably 4) carrying a pickle jar into our new house. I remember the fish tank in the doctor's office when I was 6. But I can't remember half of the names/faces of the people I went to high school with. I just ran across a book I started, probably about 6 years ago. I can't even remember writing it, or where I was going with it. I find it a little bit scary that I can't remember these things.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!