Friday, March 27, 2009

More acronyms in my life, and cheese.

We have several. PSC. ADD. ADHD. PMDD. SPD.

And our newest- GFCF.

This stands for Gluten Free/Casein Free. The GFCF will, hopefully improve the SPD, the ADD, the ADHD, and may possibly help the PSC. Confused yet?

If not, you should try implementing a GFCF diet. Turns out there is gluten and/or casein in most everything. Most everything that is good. By good, I mean mainly cheese and bread.

There is a systematic strategy for getting into this. First, we are playing around, trying all the pre-made or easy to make dairy/casein free and gluten free basics. GFCF bread. We have found one or two we like. Casein free cheese. This is not going to happen. There is no good "not cheese" to be found. It's like fake water, it just ain't gonna happen. So after we play a bit, and decide on a variety of things we like, we start by giving up dairy for two weeks. This may go fairly well, except of course for the cheese. We have settled on a few varieties of soy milk we all like. I have always liked soy milk, Katie and Tommy were a little harder to sell. And of course, no cheese. Have I mentioned the cheese?

After a couple of weeks of no dairy, we will add in, one meal a week, no gluten alternatives. The plan is to be GFCF by the end of ten weeks. A fair trial is at least six months to see if symptoms improve, then slowly add a few back in at one year as a control. Katie is eager to leave Adderall in the dust, and I am right there with her.

So who has what? Well, I have PSC, Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. A gluten free diet is anecdotally known to be good for liver health, and dairy is a common culprit of digestive disorders. I also have ADD, and wouldn't mind giving up my meds either. Katie has ADHD, and Tommy has SPD, Sensory Processing Disorder. These are all part of what are now commonly referred to as "The Four A Disorders: Asthma, Autism, ADHD and Allergies" and a gluten/casein intolerance is prominent throughout all of them.

And cheese is not good for any of them. Do you know how much I love cheese? Two words- Sarah Silverman.

No comments:

Post a Comment