I realized recently that all of my life, I have followed my gut. Not the "fight or flight" sort of follow my gut, that is a good thing. A visceral reaction to impending danger is a gift, and I have been spared certain injury by following it, and sometimes been injured by not following it.
I am talking about the gut instinct that reacts to life. And my gut's message can be summed up in one word- fight. Fight to survive, fight to win, fight to love, fight to be loved, fight for understanding, fight to be accepted. Fight for others, fight for what is right. Even if for something good, my instinct has always been to fight. But the important thing to realize, is that it has always reacted. I finally see that this is optional.
I can lead. Not my gut, but my heart. I do not have to wait to react to what happens. I can choose what happens. Ok, not all the time, that might be nice for a bit but I am sure it would get boring at some point. I can choose to lead my heart. If I choose to love, my heart will follow. If I choose to hate, my heart will follow. I can lead, and maybe my gut will shut the hell up for once. Who is in charge of this body anyway?
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree. Lead and the feelings will follow. Good post on blog frog.
ReplyDeleteTotally me. I can completely relate to this. Thanks for starting that thread on BF.
ReplyDelete