Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Silently jaded

That is what I am becoming- jaded.

I hear a story in the news, and make a swift judgment on who did what. Then I might throw in a guess as to why. Or maybe I will say the story is not true, someone made it up. But I can't say these things out loud. What if I am wrong? What if I accuse the father, and the poor guy didn't do it? What if I call the rape victim a liar, and the poor girl was telling the truth? What kind of person does that make me?

Judgmental. Jaded. And in most cases, right. Is this what the world is coming to, that we do not automatically assume or believe the best in people, and we are often correct in our assumptions? Or it as simple as the media creating the story to be something more complex or mysterious than it is, because the simple truth is becoming mundane and far less sensational?

Would it be better to be less jaded? Would it be better for me to pray for this poor mom who is distraught because her precious baby is missing, only to find that she had a part in it? Well, is that not how I got this way in the first place? It is. I do not believe a single prayer is ever wasted, but my mental energy and angst certainly has been squandered on those who do not deserve it.

Some might say Shawnee. don't be silly. You are being practical. You are pragmatic. You're intuitive. It's just logic. Maybe. I just don't like believing the worst, and being right.

No comments:

Post a Comment